ACER’s global research expertise in the school education sector draws on decades of experience to inform educational policy and practice.
ACER’s global research expertise in the school education sector draws on decades of experience in national and international surveys, systemwide testing and monitoring, assessment and reporting, research to inform educational policy and practice, including research into teacher education, professional development and school improvement.
ACER works with intergovernmental agencies such as the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development and the Southeast Asian Ministers of Education Organization; independent and international cooperative research institutions such as the International Association for the Evaluation of Educational Achievement; national governments; education systems; curriculum and assessment authorities; and other education stakeholder groups in more than 40 countries.
ACER’s global school education research supports leaders, policymakers, teachers and learners through a wide range of research and assessment services. Our research capabilities broadly span three areas: policy research, assessment and surveys.
- Learner access, participation and engagement
- Linkages between curriculum, assessment and credentialing
- Workplace and workforce needs and trends, and the professional learning of teachers and school leaders
- High-quality measurement, psychometric and data analysis, and reporting
- Large-scale national and international measurement
- Online and automated assessment
- Assessment of student ability, achievement and wellbeing
- Selection tools for scholarships and selective schools
- Large-scale national and international surveys, including surveys of literacy, numeracy, civics and citizenship, and computer and information literacy
- Learner access, participation, engagement and post-school transitions
- School improvement, school performance measurement and school empowerment
ACER’s four strategic research priorities also address the school education sector through the Centre for Global Education Monitoring, Centre for Assessment Reform and Innovation, Centre for Education Policy and Practice, and Centre for the Science of Learning @ ACER.
Recent school education research includes:
- ICILS - International Computer and Information Literacy Study
- National School Improvement Tool
- Monitoring Trends in Educational Growth in Afghanistan
- PISA Australia – Programme for International Student Assessment Australia
- Queensland Review of Senior Assessment and Tertiary Entrance Processes
- Staff in Australia’s Schools