Effective formative assessments for better learning outcomes in science
Wondering how to develop high-quality formative assessment tasks to accurately measure the learning levels of your students? We can help you gather better information that lets you decide appropriate teaching techniques to support every child.
Research suggests that effective formative assessment can ensure substantial gains in student learning. Such improvements are possible when the assessment instruments used are underpinned by good practices. However, to derive the optimal benefit from formative assessments, teachers need support in developing their own assessment competencies.
This module will help teachers understand the different types of school-based assessments, their uses, and purposes. Specifically, it will focus on the key aspects of a formative assessment cycle − constructing high-quality assessment tasks in specific domain areas, developing rubrics to assess student evidence, and providing supportive feedback to students.
The outcome document of the workshop will act as a guide to designing and delivering everyday formative assessments.
Participants will be able to:
- understand the role of assessment in supporting teaching and learning
- distinguish between summative and formative assessment
- learn the essential components of developing and implementing formative assessment
- develop an awareness of the key principles of task development
- construct high-quality tasks for formative assessments.
Mode of delivery
Dr Garima Bansal, Research Fellow, ACER India
INR 1000 per subject (including GST)