The Assessment of Languages Competence (ALC) is a suite of tests, at different levels, designed to assess language competence in learners of additional languages.
The ALC is offered in:
- Chinese (Additional Language Learners): Certificates 1, 2 and 3 (Pilot in 2017)
- Chinese (Background Speakers): Certificates 1 (new 2017) and 2, and 3 (Pilot in 2017)
- French: Certificates 1, 2, 3 and Primary
- German: Certificates 1, 2, 3 and Primary
- Indonesian: Certificates 1, 2, 3 and Primary
- Italian: Certificates 1, 2, 3 and Primary
- Japanese: Certificates 1, 2, 3 and Primary
- Modern Greek: Certificate 1, 2 (new in 2017), 3 (Pilot in 2017) and Primary
- Spanish: Certificates 1, 2 and 3 (Pilot in 2017)
The tests are delivered online in a multiple choice format.
For information on recommended Certificate level allocation, please see FAQs.
The ALC includes:
- ALC online tests.
- Individual student certificates in a digital format.
- An interactive school report.
ALC testing contributes to:
- The promotion and celebration of Languages Education.
- Tracking of student progress in Languages throughout their school years.
- Providing an overview of a school's performance in relation to Languages.
'The ALC is a compulsory element of our Languages program at MacKillop College. We hand out the certificates at a school assembly, we report on the student achievements in the school newsletter and we publish their results in our college yearbook. We are very proud of our Japanese and French results every year! Great PR for Languages!'
Carmel Freeman, MacKillop College, Bathurst